Owning Your Practice – David Keil
October 27, 2019
#007: David Keil
Scott interviews David Keil, a long term SYL friend and collabarator, about his life and evolution into becoming one of Stillpoint’s most loved visiting teachers and a highly sought after yoga anatomy educator.
David Keil is a yoga teacher, yoga anatomy educator and entrepreneur who is changing the way we integrate with and learn yoga anatomy. He has written a yoga anatomy book, called Functional Anatomy of Yoga, created a set of highly successful yoga anatomy online courses, he facilitated a yoga research project assessing the yoga asana practice on physical health and injury and has also just launched a groundbreaking new anatomy learning tool called 3D Muscle Lab.
David lives in Miami and travels globally teaching yoga and anatomy. You can find more about David’s work here
Owning Your Practice
Scott gets under the skin of David Keil, looking deeply into David’s journey from starting yoga at 15 through to becoming, what Scott calls him, one of the most skilled Ashtanga yoga teachers and educators teaching today. David has taught at Stillpoint Yoga London since 2010 and in this conversation shares his journey through yoga practice and teaching in a beautifully open and honest way
David’s skill has always been to be able to help find people’s agency in their yoga practice. This podcast get’s behind why that is, how David ultimately sees practice and why we love him here at Stillpoint.
The conversation covers:
- how David got in to contemplative practice through self hypnosis/meditation.
- how David used these techniques to change his school grades.
- how David got into yoga through practicing Tai Chi.
- how David began Ashtanga yoga
- how David started his yoga anatomy workshops
- how David met John Scott.
- how David moved to studying in Mysore
- how David looks at his own practice.
- how David’s practice has been a contemplative process
- what David wants to get people to understand through teaching anatomy
- how David helps people to take responsibility for their own yoga practice
« A Transformative Pathway – Caroline Taylor Create Your Own Way – Danny Paradise »