Here are 2 ways you can get started with us:
5 day Beginners Course
Start your Ashtanga yoga journey with us in London Bridge.
Our courses are weekly and begin each Monday and we register only 4 people per week.
Your introduction will last 5 consecutive days from your first class with us at our self practice space at The Artworks in London Bridge.
The course is interactive meaning you will receive supplement learning emails from the day you sign up for the course and then each following day, to support your learning with us in the classroom.
Sign up for our 5 day beginners on the calendar below
One to one private class
Start your Ashtanga yoga journey with our founder Scott Johnson.
Your private introduction will set you up personally for attending our self practice classes in London Bridge.
The 1-2-1 session will be 1.5 – 2hrs with Scott Johnson (at the Brixton studio) and will include 2 follow ups within a week at Stillpoint Yoga London in London Bridge.
You will also receive supplement emails that support your learning that contain core principles that underpin the knowledge and practice of Ashtanga yoga. It’s a great way to start your practice by getting personal attention right from the beginning of your Ashtanga yoga journey.
Are you a yoga beginner?
Then you’re in the right place!
On this page you’ll find everything you need to know about getting started with us here at Stillpoint Yoga London and above you’ll see the courses we have on offer.
We’re passionate about introducing people to the assisted self practice method of Ashtanga yoga and have been since we first opened in 2009. We believe that the self practice method is one of the most profound and finest ways to cultivate a life long/safe personal yoga practice. We also feel that the true benefits of yoga come over time, with patience and by cultivating willpower, all which are served by developing your own personal practice.
- Time, in that learning a yoga practice is something that can’t be rushed.
- Patience, in that trusting the process of a yoga practice allows there benefits to slowly unfold.
- Willpower in taking on a new practice and learning to practice it yourself irrespective of the need for a teacher.
I signed up for the beginners course expecting to only learn the basics of ashtanga yoga, to be able to establish a self practice. I got so much more out of it. Scott and all the teachers make you feel so welcome and are such an amazing support. The studio is just filled with a genuine and warm energy. Definitely changed my life for the better.
The aim of our beginners introduction courses:
- To inspire you to cultivate a sustainable yoga self practice for yourself, separate from the need to go to a class or a teacher. Going to a class or teacher is developmental and for support in moving your practice forward or through life processes. The benefits of a yoga practice bear fruit when you commit to learning it and are inspired to practice it by yourself.
- To help you initiate a safe and long term focus to dedicated yoga practice. All our teachers are highly skilled in body awareness and can help tailor an ashtanga yoga practice to your needs and your body.
- Introduce you to the inspirational techniques of the self practice method of Ashtanga yoga. We believe the best and most rewarding method of asana based practice is where you learn to do it for yourself.
- To help you understand how yoga can be a powerful force in your life. We believe in the practice of yoga as a way of waking up to the possibilities that life offers us.
Everyone has been so supportive and helpful during and since my course.
It really is a nurturing and positive environment, a little oasis in the heart of London! Bloody fantastic!
What is Ashtanga vinyasa yoga?
Ashtanga vinyasa yoga is a powerful yet subtle yoga that synchronises breath with movement to slowly unveil not only the strength, flexibility and vitality of the physical body but also, over time, the rediscovery of the practitioners fullest potential on all levels of human consciousness, control of the senses and a deep awareness of their selves. Ashtanga yoga was spread across the globe through the students of it’s founder K Pattabhi Jois of Mysore, India.
At SYL we teach with great integrity to the process of the Ashtanga yoga practice, while being considered and mindful to all those who come and we tailor the practice to the individual. This is the way a safe and prolonged practice can evolve. All SYL teachers are highly experienced and trained individuals with a deep sense of how yoga has evolved within their own practices. This creates the skill of being able to teach people from their own personal practice and subtleties.
Through regular practice of Ashtanga yoga steadiness, strength and clarity of body and mind can be attained.