Stillpoint Yoga Essentials 2
The Stillpoint Education Pathway
Would you like to deepen your knowledge of Ashtanga yoga?
Then join us for this 6 day integrated intensive
What you will learn:
The Second Half of the Primary Series
This course expands on Essentials 1 and delivers the theory, names and postures that make up the second half of the primary series of the Ashtanga yoga practice. There will be deep study and learning into how the whole practice fits together from beginning to end.
The History and Philosophies of Yoga
We will introduce the key principles and timelines that underpin the deep history of yoga. We will look at how and why yoga changed over these periods of time and see if we can track the threads that run back from millenia to now. Importantly, we shed a light on where we find ourselves now.
The Finishing Series Study and Technique
The finishing series of the Ashtanga yoga practice is an often overlooked part of the practice, yet it is deeply important. We will break down the sequence using movement and anatomy theory to fully understand how the end of the practice is as important as what has come before.
What is the intention of the Essentials 2 course?
This is the second part of the Essentials 60hr Course aimed at those who wish to deepen their Ashtanga Primary Series practice in a holistic way.
In this course you will continue your journey from part 1 deepening your relationship to the second half of the primary series practice from Bhujapidasna through to Urdvha Dhanurasana. We will work on how it all relates to your own bodies and include more chanting instruction, mindfulness meditation, pranayama and Sanskrit counting. This course is for you to develop your own knowledge of the practice, it doesn’t include assisting others. There will also be instruction in the basics of historical and philosophical theory.
What in the course curriculum?
- We will explore Ashtanga yoga practice from the second half of the primary series practice. This will be from Bhujapidasana through to Urdvha Dhanurasana.
- We will continue to study the theory behind the whole of the Ashtanga yoga practice, reviewing what we learned in Essentials 1 too.
- We will unpack the finishing sequence from Salamba Sarvangasana through to Padmasana.
- We will begin to look at the historical and philosophical theory of yoga.
- We will continue to develop our mindfulness meditation practice
How long will the course take?
The course duration is 6 days with 36 contact hours of study. The course includes:
- 6 hours of content per day.
- A 3hr morning teacher/student Ashtanga yoga full primary series. This creates a learning environment where together we unpack the many key elements of the practice.
- A 3hr afternoon technique/philosophy/movement session unpacking the deeper elements of yoga practice.
We will be providing a manual and pre-course study/learning tools. It is a requirement to attend 80% of the whole course.
Completion of this course qualifies you for the Experienced Practitioner Course, which can lead on to the Amāyu foundation teacher mentorship programme.
How much does the course cost?
The UK course price is £450
What do I need to know before joining the course?
You must be proficient in practising the Ashtanga full-primary series and have experience of both self-practice (Mysore) and guided/led Ashtanga yoga methods. You must be proficient in the count, asana names and opening chant for the half-primary series or have completed Essentials part 1.